Friday, June 24, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011

If you participate in prom this week, please write up a 2-4 paragraph analysis of how the experience you and others shared relates to what we've learned. Which ideas or observations from the course resonate with what you noticed in real life? Which ideas or observations seemed off-base in light of Thursday night? What insights seem more available to you as a direct-participant rather than just a student of the ritual? What costs and benefits did you notice from having thought about the topic in a scholarly way before experiencing it for yourself? Did prom feel magic & transformative or did those expectations strike you as hype?


Going to prom, was a fun night. It went the way I planned to have fun and not be self-conscious . I felt nice and well dress that day and I didn’t care much what people thought.  People even brought their friends and it was not a big deal to have a date or not.  My boyfriend enjoys himself too (I was hoping he did because he did not know anyone) and it was welcoming. The way prom was set up and the value of our school made prom seem a comfortable event. We all supported each other to go; it was not to get drunk or laid, but to have a good night. And for those who did not go, should not feel guilty but to think there will be another event in their life they will enjoy.  I don’t think anyone felt the need to feel like a celebrity.. Yes people came in limos but it’s not even like anyone paid mind. It would have been different if we were all in a bigger school and there is a prom king & queen which put pressure on the students.  Yes I wanted go because it was something to  do and a day to dress nice but I did feel like if I did not go it will be a night that I missed.  Not magical but sweet night, everyone made sure they had a good night.  That day all the guys dress up and ladies get to see them in something different, as well the ladies to feel special in a school event. Our unit of prom did not change my mind set of prom because I did not grow for prom to be a night to lose my virginity, drink or mini wedding. But to be part of a school event.

No comments:

Post a Comment